Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Two big girls

My mom and I share a wonderfully weird relationship. Wonderful because it’s well my mom and weird for the people who see us in full swing. We have a very unusual way to express our love-I know exactly how clichéd it sounds-but it is so unusual coz I haven’t seen another like it. She happens to be the butt of most of my jokes, the ones who has to bear the brunt of my anger and the one who I cuddle like a li’l baby (talk of bear hugs!)

Well most of our time is spent bickering. This is why people think we’re weird-they just assume I’m an unrelenting rebellious teenager who is a royal pain the neck and whose mother has an uphill task just keeping her temper in check. But its not that way. If I don’t “fight” with momma I can’t say I’ve had a complete day. Unless her regular phone calls bug me, I feel something amiss.

That’s what happened a day ago. I was out spending my day at my buddy’s place and as our pact is, I told my ma I’ll be home by 5 or 6. At 5 o’clock that evening my head became aware that’s its time for ma to call and find out where and how far I am on my home and remind if I’ve forgotten. However buddy-buddy we all are, we do believe in deadlines and punctuality. And my mother has always had an idea where I am. She ensures she does. So at 5:15 I checked my phone, incase I had a missed call. None. I board the bus. I pull out my phone from my jeans pocket just incase she calls and I have to struggle with ‘em. I get off to change my bus. 5:30pm and still no call. Now I’m concerned.

I take the other bus and still cling to my phone and now I’m checking it every few minutes. NO CALL! I am now almost home. I start walking home. I check my watch-5:50pm. Why hasn’t ma called? It’s most unlike her? Hey wait, why am I worried? For the first time she has not bothered herself as to my where about. So I get my chain-free freedom at last? Shit! Call ma call!

5:55pm. I am at my colony entrance. I can’t hold myself anymore. Flip open the phone->phonebook->press M->dial the first entry Ma->wait for to answer. She takes her own sweet time. I am worried as hell!
“huh?”
“Ma? Where are you? You didn’t call. I am almost home. Want me to get milk on my way home?’
“Haan…nahi. I got the milk. (Yawn!) I was sleeping! I’ll open the door. You come soon.”

Sleeping?! She was sleeping blissfully unaware of the time and here was I worried why ma didn’t call so I could lecture her on me being a big girl! Jeez! She finally got it that I’m a big girl, but I didn’t. Now I guess this is weird. No wonder people fail to understand us. I still don’t.

Frankly I don’t even want to. Why waste time to rationalize love? And yes now I know never again will I shriek at ma for calling me on my way to find out how far I am. That way at least two people don’t get anxiety attacks for nothing and I save on my phone bill!

love ya ma!

2 comments:

Chronicler said...

dis happens wid me all the time....glad to noe...other ppl too hav to suffer in d hands of der overprotective moms...

not_shakespeare said...

that was beautiful!! touching :)