Friday, February 26, 2010

Cartoons in new light




Easy, free time is good for the mind. It's simply bliss but 3 months of it can lead to a rusty attitude and a lazy body! yawn!! ;)
Unlike most people I have just discovered youtube thanks to my better bandwidth. So i'm spending my days watching old episodes of Popeye, Little lulu and all looney tunes and it's good fun.
The one thing that struck me over and over again is how sexuality is promoted through these cartoons. A simple case in point with say, droopy&dripple, a voluptuous woman walks by with a skimpy dress and a bare leg, has a husky voice and smoky eyes and the father-son duo gets their brain rattled and eyes popping! How often have we seen this scene repeated in various cartoons and over the ages? As a kid i'd laugh over it and absorb it as a typical male reaction to a stereotypical female mould! Good lord!
it's very disturbing now that i see such stuff and realise the potential harm it can do. as with Johnny Bravo...the guy was a labelled lecher! i miss the innocence in those cartoons and i also realise that it was innocence in me not to have realised such perspectives to lust earlier. i grew up and my perception of the actions of those characters changed!
Each animation i see, i note the details, i always have. I used to marvel at how grown people could so very easily understand a child's mind and make them laugh, learn and connect to objects that do not exist. But now i see how it works. It is an adult mind at work in a child's playroom...we all remember what we liked. it's just that if i now want my chair to dance with me, it wouldn't be on a "here we go round the mulberry bush" but maybe a "jamaican farewell". so if i were to make a kid imagine, i'll change the music! and we still dance...i, in my big grown up world of deadlines, projects and loud people and the little kid in her world of stars, cars and bliss!

No comments: