Monday, July 14, 2008

Mind over Body


i am not a feminist, as some people consider me. i do find myself at odds with people when treatment of females is considered. i don't like the downtrodden way women are treated at each step of the way, getting the raw deal in life. elaborate l8r, or just ask me when u meet me. i don't also ask for favours, as most people consider women liberation to be all about. i just ask for equality. you be you, let me be me!
this one's about how my self made principles gave me a bumpy ride. buses in Delhi are a nightmare. men in those buses, nine cases out of ten, are horny bastards. if i could shoot them, they'd be in line before the auto wallahs who consider it their right to over charge. at least they only rob me of my money, and that too at face value, not my innocence and dignity in "oops! madam jagah nahi hai kya karun?" style. those are the times i wish i could just slap, kick, castrate and dump the entire male population of Delhi. i just can't...i know good men too, and i thank the lord for them!
today i had an exceptionally long journey to make into a part of delhi I've never been to. i insisted to travel on my own n learn n declare myself a big girl...no more mamma's li'l baby(though I'll always be one :)). standing in that over crowded bus, i saw the ladies seats had been promptly occupied by guys. three of them, pretty young. i kept standing. it was long ago that I'd decided I'll never ask for a seat. the guy sitting on it could be just as exhausted as i! so i kept standing. the three guys, young blokes, couldn't spell chivalry if they wanted to, n how i missed chivalry!
women came in l8r, who managed to get a few seats my ordering the men sitting to stand. not even requesting...more like whacking their heads n looking down their noses. i kept hanging. those guys had some nerve to remain seated even after those aunties(can't call them anything else) had done everything but call the police.
i was so tempted to join them. i was already tired, hanging onto the rod for sacred space to rest my feet on and keeping my bag on my shoulders. but i couldn't. i wouldn't. to join them would be against my battle for equality. my self appointed battle in every sphere of life. i was losing.
finally a guy's stop came. he first tapped on my knee...that's all he could get to i guess. he then asked me to take his seat when he vacated it. the world made sense again! i wouldn't shower him for praises for telling me his seat would be available for a micro second, but i do thank him. never did i expect any one to offer me his seat, i would've declined anyway! but for whatever reason, i did manage a seat a little beyond the halfway.
i finally got to my no man's land. or better, no woman's land

3 comments:

Chronicler said...

its no better even when u have won urself a seat..men continue to be as pervertish as ever... so seat or no seat..men remain the same...

Unknown said...

couldn't agree more. one reason why i prefer the window seat...at least they can't rub off some **** on your shoulders that way

Divita said...

haahahaa!! just the way my mind churns when i am on one of those women-are-equal vows!!
cool.